Chipotle sauce isn’t just for chicken! Try it out on these grilled salmon fillets: chili peppers and adobo sauce combine with plenty of spices and a hint of lime for a flavor that really perks up the fish. And if you’ve never tried grilling fish on a cedar plank, it really adds a nice woodsy flavor, and it also helps keep the fish nicely moist and prevent it from drying out. You can buy cedar planks in any big grocery store, or at most hardware stores with the rest of the grill equipment.
This is also one summer meal that really pulls its own weight from a nutritional perspective.Salmon is most famous for its Omega-3 fats, but it’s also full of important micronutrients like iron, B vitamins, and the antioxidant mineral selenium.
A great side dish for this would be cauliflower “rice” mixed with some roasted red peppers for flavor and color. But if cauliflower just isn’t your thing, try almost anything from the grill.
Spicy Chipotle Salmon Recipe
SERVES: 2 PREP: 15 min. COOK: 18 min.
- 2 lbs. salmon fillet, skin on;
- 2 tbsp. olive oil;
- Juice and zest of 1 lime;
- 1 chipotle chili;
- 2 tsp. adobo sauce;
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin;
- 1 clove garlic, minced;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- 1 cedar plank, soaked in water for 2 hours; (optional)
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Combine the olive oil, lime juice and zest, chipotle chili, adobo sauce, cumin and garlic in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Spread the chipotle mixture all over the salmon, making sure it’s well covered.
- Place the salmon on the plank or directly on the grill and cook, covered, for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Serve with fresh guacamole.